The U.S. Army
at the Messepalast
After WW II, the U.S. occupying power – the United State Forces in Austria (USFA) – converted the Messepalast (today’s Museumsquartier) into one of their main event locations. They opened it to the local public and, until 1955, they organised exhibitions, balls, fashion and sports events there.
In 1950, an exhibition in the Messepalast featuring the “Marshall Plan” presented the programme to the Viennese population. The major European Recovery Programme (ERP)
launched by the U.S. stimulated quick economic growth of Western Europe after WW II.
After WW II, the United States Forces in Austria (USFA) converted the former horse riding hall in the Messepalast (today’s Halle E+G in Museumsquartier) into a “Sports Arena”, which was to host basketball games among other events. Subsequently, this
sport became popular in Austria just like numerous other cultural imports from the U.S.
Used after WW II by the United State Forces in Austria (USFA) as a “Sports Arena”, the former horse riding hall in the Messepalast (today’s Halle E+G in Museumsquartier) became stage to large boxing events among other things.